Lyford's History of Concord
"History of Concord, New Hampshire From the Original Grant in Seventeen Hundred and Twenty-Five to the Opening of the Twentieth Century"
Prepared Under the Supervision of the City History Commission,
James O. Lyford, Editor
Authorized by the City Government January 14, 1896 and published in 1903.
- Introduction (PDF)
- Physical Features (PDF) Topography; Streams; Ponds; Freshets; Forests; Mineral Resources; Artesian Well; Localities.
- Physical Development (PDF) Ferries; Bridges; Main Street; Shade Trees; Types of Houses.
- Fish and Game (PDF)
- Chapter 1 (PDF) Scene of the History. Aboriginal Occupation
- Chapter 2 (PDF) Events Leading to English Occupation. Grant of the Plantation of Penacook.
- Chapter 3 Part 1 (PDF) Plantation of Penacook. Transition to the Township of Rumford.
- Chapter 3 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 4 (PDF) Town of Rumford. Falls within Jurisdiction of New Hampshire.
- Chapter 5 (PDF) District of Rumford. King George's War and Its Indian Hostilities.
- Chapter 6 (PDF) Rumford neither Town nor District. Bow Controversy and Matters connected therewith. Colonization by Concord Settlers.
- Chapter 7 (PDF) Last French and Indian War. Rumford becomes Concord, a Parish of Bow.
- Chapter 8 Part 1 (PDF) Parish of Concord. Period of the American Revolution.
- Chapter 8 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 9 (PDF) Town of Concord. Post Revolutionary Events. Constitution of the United States. Revised State Constitution. Town Affairs and Progress.
- Chapter 10 Part 1 (PDF) Town of Concord. Early Events of the New Century. Becomes the Capital of the State. War of 1812. Other Facts of the Period.
- Chapter 10 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 11 (PDF) Town of Concord. The State House Erected. Toleration Act. Merrimack County Formed. Other Events.
- Chapter 12 Part 1 (PDF) Town of Concord. Temperance Reform. Religious, Social, Intellectual, and Material Progress. Catholic-Irish Immigration. Political Events. City Charter Adopted.
- Chapter 12 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 13 Part 1 (PDF) City of Concord. New Government in Operation. City and County Building. Public Library. The Prohibitory Law. Progress in Various Departments. Ante-War Politics.
- Chapter 13 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 14 Part 1 (PDF) City of Concord. Period of the Civil War.
- Chapter 14 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 15 (PDF) City of Concord. After the War. Important Means Adopted whereby the General Advantage of the Community was Subserved.
- Chapter 16 Part 1 (PDF) City of Concord, 1880 to 1900. Two Decades of Progress. Topics, old and new, treated to Conclusion.
- Chapter 16 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 17 Part 1 (PDF) Material Development
- Chapter 17 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 18 (PDF) Weather Record: From 1856 to 1900 Inclusive
- Chapter 19 (PDF) Appendix: The Governor's Horse Guards
- Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 19 Part 1 (PDF) Church History
- Chapter 19 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 19 Part 3 (PDF)
- Chapter 19 Part 4 (PDF)
- Chapter 20 (PDF) Canals, Stage Lines, and Taverns
- Chapter 21 (PDF) Concord as a Railroad Center
- Chapter 22 Part 1 (PDF) The Medical Profession
- Chapter 22 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 23 (PDF) Dentistry
- Chapter 24 (PDF) New Hampshire State Hospital
- Chapter 25 (PDF) Margaret Pillsbury General Hospital
- Chapter 26 (PDF) New Hampshire Memorial Hospital for Women and Children
- Chapter 27 Part 1 (PDF) Bench and Bar
- Chapter 27 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 28 (PDF) Newspapers and their Editors
- Chapter 29 (PDF) Domestic Customs and Social Life
- Chapter 30 (PDF) The Rolfe and Rumford Asylum
- Chapter 31 Part 1 Political and Public Events at the Capital
- Chapter 31 Part 2
- Chapter 32 State Prison
- Chapter 33 Part 1 Concord in the Civil War
- Chapter 33 Part 2
- Chapter 34 Part 1 Schools, Public and Private
- Chapter 34 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 34 Part 3 (PDF)
- Chapter 34 Part 4 (PDF)
- Chapter 35 (PDF) Concord Literary Institution
- Chapter 36 (PDF) Methodist General Biblical Institute
- Chapter 37 (PDF) St. Paul's School
- Chapter 38 (PDF) St. Mary's School
- Chapter 39 Part 1 (PDF) Official Roster
- Chapter 39 Part 2 (PDF)
- Chapter 40 (PDF) Miscellaneous
- General Index Part 1 (PDF)
- General Index Part 2 (PDF)
- General Index Part 3 (PDF)